William has experience of all aspects of construction and engineering disputes including claims relating to payment, defects, delay and disruption and professional negligence. William regularly appears in the TCC, both on his own and as junior to Leading Counsel. His advocacy experience includes both full trials and a wide array of interim applications at both High Court and County Court levels.
William has extensive experience in all aspects of adjudication having prepared submissions during the course of adjudications, acted in hearings, appeared in several reported cases involving the enforcement of adjudicator's awards and been involved in Part 8 Court proceedings seeking to challenge an adjudicator's jurisdiction during the course of an adjudication. William has also appeared in one of the leading cases regarding the assessment of adjudicator's fees.
William is a Consultant Editor of the Construction Law Reports and Contributor to Keating on Construction Contracts.
“exceptionally smart”...”impressive in meetings and in court and for coming to conclusions very quickly”...”has a good grasp of technical details, is excellent on his feet, and presents everything in a very approachable way”...”performs as well as many senior juniors.”
Chambers and Partners 2013
“displays an ability well beyond his years”...“a go-to name for many solicitors when it comes to substantial instructions”...“his popularity continues to grow”
Chambers and Partners 2012
“gives carefully considered, practical advice at short notice”…”a real rising star,”…”he can do the intricate work as well as the rough and ready work required of him; he’s hugely knowledgeable”
Chambers and Partners 2011
Construction and Engineering
- Acting for a leading outdoor advertising company in a dispute regarding delay and disruption to a project to extensively upgrade and enhance the advertising estate on a major metro system.
- Counsel for a major contractor in a multi-million pound final account dispute in respect of an art gallery in East Anglia.
- Acting for the steel fabrication sub-contractor in respect of the failure of the Clyde Arc Bridge in Glasgow.
- Acting for a building contractor in a High Court TCC trial concerning issues of delay and valuation under a cost plus contract.
- Acting for a developer in a High Court TCC trial concerning the application of the prevention principle.
- Acting for the contractor on a major road building project in the Middle East.
- Acting for a sub-contractor on a payment dispute in respect of a British Embassy in Africa.
- Acting for a firm of architects in respect of a payment dispute regarding a high profile development in Liverpool.
- Junior Counsel on a multi-million pound liquidated damages claim relating to a power station in Spain.
- Acting for contractor in a payment dispute relating to a waste incineration plant.
- Advising and drafting pleadings for the owner of an industrial unit in respect of a claim against the design and build contractor and engineer in respect of water ingress.
- Acting for the owner of a car dealership in respect of differential settlement of the building's floor slab.
- Acting for a building surveyor in a multi-party TCC claim relating to water ingress at a residential development.
- Advising and representing a major facilities management firm in an adjudication in connection with increases in the employment pay and conditions of transferring employees on a hospital PFI project.
- Advising and representing a major UK contractor in a series of adjudications in connection with a number large disputes arising out of two major hospital PFI projects.
- Contributor to Keating on Construction Contracts, 9th Edition.
- Consultant Editor of the Construction Law Reports .
- Using Part 8 to finally determine issues and enforce part only of an adjudicator’s decision
- Consultant editor of the Construction Law Reports
- Editor of the Adjudication Society Newsletter
- Researcher, Keating on Construction Contracts 8th Edition, 1st Supplement (2008)
Education and Professional Career
|King Edward’s School, Birmingham
|BA (Law), Trinity College, Cambridge
|LL.M., University of Virginia School of Law
|BCL (Distinction), St. Catherine’s College, Oxford
|Equity Tutor, SOAS
|Bar Vocational Course, Inns of Court School of Law
|Pupil, Keating Chambers
Society of Construction Law
Technology and Construction Bar Association (TECBAR)
Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
If you would like to discuss ways in which Keating Chambers can assist you or your organisation, please contact Senior Clerk, Nick Child
, in the first instance, on +44(0)20 7544 2600. The teams of Clerks will be pleased to advise you on the member of Keating Chambers appropriate to your requirements.
Back to Barristers profiles