Tim Elliott has specialised in construction, engineering, energy and professional negligence work for over 30 years. He has a wide ranging experience of all aspects of these fields in litigation and all forms of alternative dispute resolution such as arbitration and adjudication. Tim Elliott has been recognised for excellent advocacy skills and hands on approach to cases which has made him a popular choice with UK and overseas clients who include local and national governments, public authorities, developers, funding institutions, national and international contractors and sub-contractors, architects, surveyors and engineers.
Tim Elliott increasingly acts as an arbitrator, adjudicator and mediator.
Construction and Engineering
“renowned for skilfully demolishing the opposition whilst remaining a gentleman at all times"...“rolls up his sleeves and gets on with it,” an attitude that has won him favour with many commentators. Presenting cases in “attractive and readily comprehensible ways”..."able to sideline a lot of peripheral issues and get to the core of a matter." "recommended in both Construction and International Arbitration sections"... "clients drew attention to Timothy Elliott QC for his singularly hands-on approach to (construction industry related) professional negligence matters: "He has been known to come down to sites and clamber all over the buildings" to fully appreciate the details of a case"... "Timothy Elliott QC impresses with his "excellent advocacy skills."...“he puts in a huge effort and does the whole job from site visits to the legal research. He is known for his personable style in court”...“astute, authoritative and calm under pressure”... "recommended in the top 25 Construction Silks."..."is a beguiling advocate, never less than beautifully prepared"..."a very meticulous details man who works with you rather than patronising you." ..“an aura of rock-steady reliability” “collaborative approach on all levels.”
"easy to work with"..."great on the detail and an extremely hard worker"...“built up a vast practice over his lengthy career”..."an experienced master of the construction industry"..."a hugely likeable fellow who knows how to work as part of a team."
"a wealth of experience in construction and engineering"..."ability to perform effectively in front of any type of tribunal"..."diligent and commercial"..."another go-to name for clients with international mandates"..."one of the hardest workers at the Bar and never leaves any stone unturned"..."a highly rated practitioner in the construction and engineering field."... hailed as being "very, very good."
Chambers and Partners / Legal 500 / Chambers Asia Pacific
Construction and Engineering
- Acting for Hong Kong Housing Authority in an arbitration relating to disputes with piling contractor on a large housing development.
- Acting for Tubelines in disputes with London Underground on the underground upgrade.
- Acting for a major American corporation in arbitration proceedings under a PFI contract against London Underground relating to the Connect Project under which the entire communications systems for the Underground Network was being replaced. The disputes lasted several years.
- Acting for specialist water treatment contractor in a High Court action brought by Yorkshire Water Authority in respect of the new SBR at the Nostrop Treatment Plant at Leeds. After a lengthy trial Yorkshire’s case was dismissed. Also representing the same client in the Court of Appeal on Yorkshire Water’s unsuccessful appeal.
- Acting for the Hong Kong Government in arbitration against a UK/Japanese Joint Venture relating to the Tsing Ma Bridge (part of the new airport infrastructure).
- Acting for the Mass Transit Railway Corporation in arbitration proceedings with the Airport Authority relating to the construction of the Ground Transportation Centre at the new Hong Kong Airport.
- Acting for a sub-contractor in a Hong Kong arbitration with a main contractor relating to electrical and mechanical works at the new Hong Kong Airport.
- Acting for Morrisons in a High Court action against a Local Authority in relation to a new Shopping Complex.
- Acting for a national contractor in an arbitration claim relating to new student accommodation in the Midlands.
- Acting for Bath and North East Somerset District Council against Mowlem in the Court of Appeal regarding disputes over the long delayed restoration of the Bath Spa Buildings in Bath.
- Acting for a developer in an arbitration against a main contractor in a dispute relating to the construction of a prestigious West End residential development in Kensington.
- Acting for a major UK defence contractor in arbitration and litigation with the Ministry of Defence in relation to a top secret establishment.
- Advising a French contractor in relation to their contracts to construct a Waste Water treatment Plant in Cork.
- Advising the architect on various disputes relating to the construction of the Government Campus Plaza in the West Indies.
- Acting for a contractor in an arbitration with the Department of Transport in relation to the upgrading of a major road tunnel in London.
- Acting for the Northern Ireland Department of the Environment in an arbitration with contractor on major water treatment/sewage project.
- Acting for contractors in disputes with other Water Authorities in relation to two other water treatment plants.
- Acting for electrical contractors on claims arising from the Jubilee Line Extension.
- Acting for large
American Corporation in connection with the design and construction of an off-shore
- Acting for a sub-contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings concerning an oil exploration project involving the construction of a drilling rig on an artificial island in Kazakhstan.
- Acting for sub-contractors in an LCIA arbitration over the design and construction of a two block combined cycle power plant for a major power station project in South East Asia.
- Acting for specialist sub-sea contractors in High Court action concerning sub-sea pipeline work connecting FPSO’s to well heads in the North Sea.
- High Court action against geotechnical consultants relating to subsidence at a shopping centre in Essex.
- Acting in a number of High Court actions relating to responsibility for fires and resultant losses. These cases concerned offices, supermarkets, shopping centres and a large retail development in Oxford Street.
- Chairman of a three-person Dispute Resolution Panel concerned with a major dispute on the Taiwan High Speed Rail Project.
- Chairman of a three-person tribunal in an LCIA arbitration relating to a contract for the design and construction of oil platforms in the Gulf.
- Chairman of a three-person tribunal in an ICC arbitration relating to the construction of an oil production facility in Nigeria.
- Chairman of a three-person tribunal in an arbitration arising from an Engineering Services Agreement for the installation of an ammonium nitrate unit in Egypt.
- Chairman of a three-person tribunal in DIAC arbitration concerning Dubai International Airport.
- Member of a three-person panel of arbitrators appointed in an ICC arbitration relating to off-shore and mainland oil exploration in North Africa and the Mediterranean.
- Member of a three-person panel of arbitrators in an ICC arbitration relating to dispute between American engineers and European Power Corporation.
- Member of a three-person tribunal in a DIAC arbitration relating to disputes arising from the construction of the Dubai Metro.
- Member of three-person tribunal in an ICC arbitration relating to disputes between a main contractor and subcontractor concerning the construction of a combined power and de-salination plant in Kuwait.
- Member of a three-person tribunal in an ICC arbitration relating to disputes arising from the construction of a sewage plant extension in Doha.
- Sole arbitrator in a dispute between an international consortium and the Hong Kong Government in relation to disputes arising from a major bridge infrastructure project in Hong Kong.
- Sole Arbitrator in a series of disputes between a UK water and sewerage company and a major contractor.
- Sole Arbitrator in a dispute between developer and UK local authority relating to claims arising form the construction of a large commercial property.
- Sole Arbitrator in a dispute concerning construction of a Medical Centre in the UK.
- Arbitrator in dispute relating to a contract for equipment to be installed in vessels.
- Acting as Mediator on disputes arising from the construction of a London hotel.
- Acting as Mediator on disputes relating to a riverside development in the south of England.
- Acting as Mediator on disputes over house price index used to calculate the purchase price of property.
Selected Reported Cases
- Yorkshire Water Services Ltd v Taylor Woodrow Construction Northern Ltd
 BLR 395 CA
- X Ltd v Y Ltd
 BLR 341 TCC,  EWHC 769 (TCC) and  TCLR 5
- Balfour Beatty Construction Ltd v Serco Ltd
 All ER (D) 348 TCC and  EWHC 3336 (TCC)
- Bath and NE Somerset District Council v Mowlem plc
 BLR 153, 100 Con LR 1 CA, and  EWCA Civ 115
- Yorkshire Water Services Ltd v Taylor Woodrow Construction
Northern Ltd (Biwater Treatment Ltd & anor, Pt 20
defendants) (Nos. 1 & 2)
 90 Con. LR 86
- DSND Subsea Ltd v Petroleum Geo-Services ASA
 All ER (D) 1101,  BLR 530
- Floods of Queensferry Ltd v Shand Construction Ltd
 BLR 319
- Harbour and General Works Ltd v Environment Agency
 BLR 143
- British Sugar Plc v NEI Power Projects Ltd
 87 BLR 42, [1997-98] Info TLR 353, (1998) 14 Const LJ 365, 87 BLR 42,  EWCA Civ 2438,  ITCLR 125 and 14 Const LJ 365
- Great Ormond Street Hospital NHS Trust v Secretary of State for Health
 56 Con LR 1
- Laing Management Ltd v Aegon Insurance Company (UK) Ltd
 86 BLR 70,  86 BLR 70, 55 Con LR 1,  EWHC QB 374 and  EWHC 374 (QB)
- Tesco Stores Ltd v Norman Hitchcox
 56 Con LR 42
- Equitable Life Assurance Society v Kenchington Ford
 CILL 1163
- Barclays Bank v Fairclough Building Ltd
 QB 214;  3 WLR 1057,  1 All ER 289 and  EWCA Civ 3
Education and Professional Career
MA in Literae Humaniores, Trinity College, Oxford
Astbury Law Scholar
Called to the Bar (Middle Temple)
CEDR Accredited Mediator
TECBAR Accredited Adjudicator
Public Access Training
HKIAC Panel of Arbitrators
ICC Arbitration Panel
LCIA Arbitration Panel
Technology and Construction Bar Association (TECBAR)
Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
Law Society Panel of Arbitrators 2006
Society of Construction Law
Tim Elliott lives in London and Lincolnshire. His interests include the theatre, opera and farming.
If you would like to discuss ways in which Keating Chambers can assist you or your organisation, please contact Senior Clerk, Nick Child
, in the first instance, on +44(0)20 7544 2600. The teams of Clerks will be pleased to advise you on the member of Keating Chambers appropriate to your requirements.
Back to Barristers profiles