Click here for Mediator Profile
Rosemary Jackson was called to the Bar in 1981 and has been a practising barrister since joining Keating Chambers in 1983 as the first woman at the English Construction Bar. She specialises in the field of construction and engineering contract law and professional negligence, including advice and advocacy in relation to litigation and arbitration, adjudication and mediation.
She is experienced in standard forms of building, engineering and process engineering contracts, including design and build, NEC, PPP, PFI projects and government supply contracts. Her advisory experience includes contract drafting and advice to employers, contractors and prospective purchasers on high-value and prestigious domestic projects as well as commercial developments. These include hotels, private villas, development of listed buildings and head offices for commercial organisations.
Rosemary Jackson appears as an advocate in Courts at all levels and before a wide range of adjudicators and arbitrators, as well as in appeals or challenges against arbitration decisions. She has represented local authorities, the Treasury Solicitor, contractors, sub-contractors, developers, property owners and purchasers, and professionals, including architects, engineers and surveyors.
She has considerable experience of advisory work and litigation arising out of party wall matters, and is experienced in acting as an adjudicator. She is a member of the CEDR and Tecbar Construction Adjudication Panels.
Rosemary Jackson is a keen supporter of alternative dispute resolution, in particular mediation. In addition to advising and supporting clients through the mediation process, she has been an Accredited Mediator since 2001. She is a CedrSolve Panel Mediator, having attained CEDR Registered Mediator status in 2003, and a Tecbar Panel Mediator.
"demonstrates "real determination" and explores multiple angles in pursuit of settlement. An adaptable mediator, Jackson is a favourite in contractual and professional negligence matters.”
Chambers and Partners 2013
"well prepared and clearly aware of the issues." "incredibly flexible – she enables parties to be brought together in difficult circumstances."
Chambers and Partners 2012
"friendly, pragmatic and flexible approach." "ability to provide a reality check to parties when it is needed."
Chambers and Partners 2011
Identified as one of the world’s leading Commercial Mediators in The International Who’s Who of Commercial Mediation 2012
“adopts a firm but charming manner in mediating construction and engineering disputes”..."she is able to call upon her experience to advise parties on arguments that could potentially derail negotiations."
Chambers and Partners 2010
"always provides sensible, strategic advice, which takes into account clients' commercial objectives."
Chambers and Partners 2007
Construction and Engineering
- Appeared in High Court proceedings on behalf of a specialist microtunnelling contractor in a dispute in relation to directional drilling at a site in the UK.
- Appeared on behalf of a Civil Engineering contractor in Arbitration proceedings arising out of the sub-contract to undertake infrastructure and civil engineering works for the construction of a business park.
- Numerous disputes concerning defects throughout housing estates, including representing the residents of speculative developments where allegations of serious structural defects were made against the developers and piling contractors. One was a substantial housing development in Docklands with each household requiring separate consideration and advice.
- Contractor’s claim on CAR policy arising out of settlement of a quay constructed under a design and build contract.
- Advocacy in arbitration hearings and appeals to the High Court in respect of a dredging dispute arising out of the construction of an immersed tube tunnel under ICE Blue Form.
- Advised on an £80 million claim by a joint venture contractor in relation to the construction of a section of the Jubilee Line Extension.
- Acted as Adjudicator, and appeared as counsel in arbitrations of various disputes arising from measurement, valuation and delay and disruption claims on major road-building projects under the ICE and NEC Forms of Contract.
- Advised and appeared in a series of disputes in arbitration and litigation between contractor and sub-contractors concerning construction and delivery of rolling stock.
- Acted as Adjudicator and advised as counsel in relation to various disputes under PPP Contracts relating to the London Underground.
- Instructed in a High Court action in nuisance and negligence arising from noise, traffic congestion and physical damage to property allegedly arising from the construction of the Jubilee Line Extension.
- Instructed in High Court action concerning the structural failure of components in the Clyde Arc Bridge.
- Represented Insurance Companies in disputes relating to claim coverage under buildings policies.
- Advised and represented contractors in numerous actions and adjudications relating to microtunnelling and pipejacking projects.
- Advising a Joint Venture regarding dispute resolution procedures arising from claims for the construction of a hydroelectric power plant in Kenya.
- Advised regarding a claim for defects and delay at a Combined Cycle Power Plant in the Philippines.
- Advised regarding a Design & Build project for new Power Station in Pakistan.
- Acted as Mediator in South Africa in a dispute in relation to the mechanical equipment and pipe work installation associated with a reactor.
- Acted as Counsel in an UNCITRAL Arbitration in relation to the construction of an FSO vessel.
- Advised and prepared arbitration documentation for a contractor in relation to a Liquid Natural Gas Project in Africa.
- Various professional negligence claims in relation to redevelopment of brownfield sites.
- Appeared in a High Court action brought against claims consultants in respect of their alleged negligent conduct of an arbitration.
- Various actions relating to allegedly negligent design and project management, document production and estimating by architects and engineers.
- Acted as Counsel in ICC arbitration re trademarks licence and restraint of trade.
- Acted as mediator in disputes relating to confidentiality, breach of copyright, and proceeds of crime.
- Acted on behalf of service providers in various claims under Service Provider Agreements (SPAs) for the provision of furniture and equipment to Government departments.
Examples of Tribunal Appointments
- Appointed by an Italian Contractor as part of a three person tribunal in an ICC Arbitration regarding a dispute in relation to a Hydro Electric Power plant in Africa.
- Named Adjudicator for a schools PFI contract relating to the provisions, servicing and maintenance.
- Named Adjudicator for Heathrow Terminal 5 Contract.
- Acted as Adjudicator in a dispute on a point of contractual interpretation between a top 10 Contractor and a Water Company regarding a Bio Solids Dryer project.
- Acted as Adjudicator in four separate Adjudication Decisions regarding legal and technical issues relating to an automated handling plant for picking goods to fulfil delivery orders.
- Appointed to the CEDR Construction Adjudication Panel and Tecbar Adjudication Panel.
- Acted as adjudicator in dispute relating to preparatory works for Crossrail.
- Appointed by ICC and LCIA as Mediator in cross-border disputes.
- Acted as mediator in dispute concerning fines imposed by the European Court for anti-competitive (cartel) practices.
Education and Professional Career
|LL.B. (Hons), King’s College, University of London
Associate of King’s College (AKC)
Called to the Bar (Middle Temple).
Awarded Benefactors Scholarship by Middle Temple
CEDR Accredited Mediator
Crown Court Recorder
Public Access Training
CEDR Adjudicator Panel
Tecbar Adjudicator Panel
Technology and Construction Bar Association (TECBAR)
Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
Society of Construction Law
Society of Construction Arbitrators
Rosemary enjoyed practice as a senior junior as well as sitting as a Recorder but chose not to apply for silk until the 2006 competition. She has expanded her horizons by developing a thriving practice as a Mediator and Adjudicator and finds that the challenge of mediation and adjudication complements her role as adviser and advocate.
If you would like to discuss ways in which Keating Chambers can assist you or your organisation, please contact Senior Clerk, Nick Child
, in the first instance, on +44(0)20 7544 2600. The teams of Clerks will be pleased to advise you on the member of Keating Chambers appropriate to your requirements.
Back to Barristers profiles