Richard Fernyhough has been a barrister specialising in construction and engineering law for over 35 years and is recognised as one of the leading figures in his field. He has appeared in many of the landmark cases in the field of construction law including several notable cases in the House of Lords. He has acted on countless heavy court cases and arbitrations over the years on claims relating to a wide range of projects including airports, commercial properties, hotels, oil rigs, power stations, process plants, railways, and tunnelling projects.
Mr Fernyhough is recognised internationally as a leading commercial arbitrator who is well able to handle quickly and efficiently the heaviest and most complex disputes. He has been appointed on dozens of arbitrations during his career as either the sole arbitrator, panel member and on many occasions, as Chairman. Mr Fernyhough has been appointed by such bodies as the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), the Cairo Regional Centre for Commercial Arbitration and the Taiwan Arbitration Centre. Mr. Fernyhough is a strong believer in delivering the award as soon as practicable after the conclusion of the hearing.
Construction and Engineering
“Probably one of the best intellects at the Construction Bar and extremely charming with it”...“a very highly respected figure”...“knowledgeable, fair”...“productive and very on the ball”...“portfolio of extremely high-profile work”..."a charming barrister who is deceptively lethal in cross-examination"..."knows how to sell a case, and can catch the imagination of the judges and keep up their interest even through the most technical details"...“a real client pleaser and a true gentleman”..."remains the doyen of the construction world"..."elliptical, he asks apparently innocent questions, returning to the answers at a later point to reveal them as untrue or damning"..."smoothes the troubled waters of the most complex disputes"..."excellent and firmly established"..."if you are going to trial, clients are in no doubt that Richard Fernyhough is the man to lead the charge"..."remains prominent as counsel and arbitrator"... is an immensely experienced silk in construction cases, having "seen and done it all at one stage or another"... "lethal cross-examination; polite and conversational, he gets the required information"... "Calm, measured, and good on the law"..."charm personified and one of the grand old men of the Construction Bar"... “one of the cornerstones of the Construction Bar” “prowess in the field throughout a lengthy and distinguished career.”
"Good, patient and robust"..."acclaimed for his expertise in commercial arbitration's ..."very difficult to beat" and "has a great courtroom presence and ruthless cross-examination skills"...“primarily engaged in construction and contractual disputes”...“muscular advocacy and cross-examination skills”..."Leading light"..."unbeatable experience and the judgement to match." ..."strong reputation for a wide range of commercial disputes."
International Arbitration - Arbitrators
"careful, diligent and extremely highly rated".
Chambers and Partners / Legal 500/ Chambers Asia Pacific
Appointments as Arbitrator
- Appointed as sole arbitrator on a series of arbitrations relating to land reclamation projects in Hong Kong SAR.
- Disputes relating to alleged defects in design of combined cycle gas turbines supplied to a British power station.
- Chairman of Tribunal on alleged design defects dispute relating to tug boat engines destined for vessels in the United States.
- Two concurrent arbitrations relating to the construction of several roll on roll off passenger ferries designed for the North Sea routes.
- Appointed sole arbitrator for disputes arising out of a joint venture agreement subject to the law of the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- Disputes arising from the decommissioning of laboratories at a military installation in the United Kingdom.
- Appointed sole arbitrator for various disputes arising from tunnelling conducted during the upgrading of the Hong Kong sewage system.
- Claim for breach of contract in relation to an operating agreement for oil and gas fields.
- Appointed sole arbitrator for a dispute between German contractor and an African state over a road construction project.
- Disputes relating to contracts for the dredging and subsequent maintenance of an access channel to a major port.
- Arbitrator of dispute between Russian parties over purchase of land for development in Moscow subject to Russian law.
- Arbitration over construction of three office buildings in Moscow subject of three contracts, two of which are subject to Russian law.
Richard Fernyhough has worked as arbitrator in France, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Malaysia, Egypt, Bahrain, the USA, the Bahamas, Pakistan and Singapore. He has also worked on cases involving Abu Dhabi, Anguilla/St. Nevis, Australia, PR of China, Denmark, Germany, India, Italy, Jamaica, Libya, Nigeria, Qatar, Russia and Malawi.
Education and Professional Career
LL.B. University College, London
Called to the Bar (Middle Temple)
Joined Keating Chambers
Called to the Bar, Hong Kong
Called to the Bar, Singapore
Deputy High Court Judge
Approved Arbitrator, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre
Head of Keating Chambers
Richard Fernyhough's other interests include hill walking, cycling, theatre, opera and Eastern philosophy and its relationship to Western science.
If you would like to discuss ways in which Keating Chambers can assist you or your organisation, please contact Senior Clerk, Nick Child
, in the first instance, on +44(0)20 7544 2600. The teams of Clerks will be pleased to advise you on the member of Keating Chambers appropriate to your requirements.
Back to Barristers profiles