Peter has a broad commercial practice, specialising in technology, construction and energy disputes.
He has extensive experience in commercial litigation, arbitration and adjudication and regularly appears in the High Court.
Peter is known for providing robust commercial advice and risk assessments, and has experience in drafting complex pleadings on technical matters. He also has a good knowledge of the JCT, NEC and GC/Works standard form contracts. He regularly advises on issues including contract interpretation, misrepresentation, damages and enforcement.
In addition, Peter has firsthand experience of the IT sector, having previously been employed as an software developer within a local authority. He has detailed technical knowledge of software design, hardware and network infrastructure.
Construction and Engineering
- Instructed by Carillion and Balfour Beatty in the final account litigation for the East London Line reconstruction works.
- Instructed on behalf of Brookfield Multiplex, as part of a larger team of counsel, in a multi-million pound dispute arising out of the construction of the Wembley Stadium.
- Acted in a final account construction dispute over a student accommodation development in North London.
- Regularly instructed in adjudication enforcement proceedings in the Technology and Construction Court.
- Acted in a construction defects trial relating to a major Mayfair development.
- Instructed on behalf of Accenture plc in a £280 million software dispute. (GB Gas Holdings Ltd. v Accenture UK Ltd)
- Advised and drafted proceedings in an action to enforce a software distribution agreement for an anti-virus software product suite.
- Acted for an IT contractor in a web services procurement project for a central government agency.
- Advised a technology start-up company on cloud services contracts.
Energy and Utilities
- Acted for Amec plc in a major commercial adjudication relating to a delay claim at a power station.
- Regularly acts for British Telecommunication plc to secure land rights, recover fees under the New Roads and Street Works Act, and defend damages actions from landowners.
- Instructed to defend a major delay and defects dispute relating to a semi-submersible oil drilling platform constructed in South Korea.
- Instructed by HM Treasury Solicitor on behalf of the Ministry of Defence in the group litigation arising out of the series of British nuclear tests carried out in Australia and the South Pacific in the 1950s.
- Acted in a High Court dispute relating to the validity of a parent company guarantee.
- Acted in a professional negligence action against an architect for failure to progress works or obtain adequate planning permission.
Researcher, Keating on Construction Contracts 9th Edition (2012)
Researcher, Keating on Construction Contracts 8th Edition, 1st Supplement
Education and Professional Career
|Software developer, Somerset County Council
|LLB Law Degree (First Class Hons), London School of Economics
|Bar Vocational Course, Nottingham Law School
|Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL), University of Oxford
|Pupillage, Keating Chambers
|Tenant, Keating Chambers
|Public Access Qualified
Society of Construction Law (SCL)
Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
Technology & Construction Bar Association (TECBAR)
Society for Computers & Law (SCL)
Peter enjoys cycling and independent travel. Recent highlights include North Korea, Kamchatka and Iraq.
If you would like to discuss ways in which Keating Chambers can assist you or your organisation, please contact Senior Clerk, Nick Child
, in the first instance, on +44(0)20 7544 2600. The teams of Clerks will be pleased to advise you on the member of Keating Chambers appropriate to your requirements.
Back to Barristers profiles
Instructed by Carillion and Balfour Beatty in the final account litigation for the East London Line reconstruction works.
Instructed on behalf of Brookfield Multiplex, as part of a larger team of counsel, in a multi-million pound dispute arising out of the construction of the Wembley Stadium.
Acted in a final account construction dispute over a student accommodation development in North London.
Regularly instructed in adjudication enforcement proceedings in the Technology and Construction Court.
Acted in a construction defects trial relating to a major Mayfair development.