Jane Lemon has been a practising barrister for over 15 years specialising in litigation and alternative dispute resolution for the construction, engineering, energy, facilities management and technology sectors, both domestically and internationally. In that time, she has built a reputation as a fine advocate with 'a famed intellectual prowess' which has led to her being regularly chosen as Counsel in complex domestic litigation and multi-million pound international arbitrations. Recent instructions have related to highway construction projects in Jamaica and Oman, tunnelling projects in the Far East and Republic of Ireland and liquid natural gas storage and processing facilities in both Australia and Nigeria.
Jane is regularly instructed to represent clients in high value litigation mainly in the Technology and Construction Court, but also in the Commercial Court and many times through the adjudication process. She is an accredited adjudicator accepting both party and nominating body appointments and is the joint author (with Mr Justice Coulson) of the section on Architects, Engineers and Quantity Surveyors for Professional Negligence and Liability, published by Lloyds of London Press.
Extracts from Chambers and Partners Guide to Legal Profession and the Legal 500
"Known for being good at managing tricky relationships with clients."
"Garners praise for her long-standing work as an advocate in international arbitration."
"A wealth of knowledge and experience."
Very diligent and hard-working."
“A leading junior for heavyweight international arbitrations.”
“A solidly practical understanding of case law” "there is nothing that you could want of her as a lawyer that she doesn't give."
"Extremely user-friendly and a darling of the clients."
"She is remarkable for the sheer hard work she puts into a case."
"Diligent, hard-working, much-admired junior."
"Not only do the clients absolutely love the way she works, she also never lets us down even though she is always very busy."
"Regularly chosen as a junior in big-ticket international arbitrations."
"A significant presence in international matters."
"Famed for her intellectual prowess."
"Is in constant demand by instructing solicitors."
"Refreshingly realistic and down to earth."
"Intelligent and industrious."
"A technically skilled barrister."
"Continuing to mature into a top-notch advocate."
- Representing an offshore deepwater drilling company in a dispute regarding the construction and delivery of a sixth generation semi-submersible drilling rig, designed to undertake deepwater operations in harsh conditions.
- Representing an Engineering Contractor in a claim against the Omani Government resulting from the construction of a new dual carriageway.
- Representing a major international contractor against the Hong Kong Government in a £100m tunnelling dispute relating to the Hong Kong Strategic Sewage Disposal Scheme.
- Representing a local Authority against an Engineering Contractor in an €85m claim involving a sewage disposal scheme in Ireland.
Construction and Engineering
- Appearing in a domestic arbitration for a major UK contractor in a £2m claim for defective work against a specialist steelworks sub-contractor.
- Representing a homeowner in the Bankruptcy Court in relation to an application to set aside a statutory demand. The Court held that an adjudicatorʹs decision creates a debt that can form the basis of a statutory demand unless and until it is challenged successfully in court.
- Acting for a designer in respect of a delay and disruption claim for in excess of £200 million in respect of a landmark London stadium.
- Appearing as counsel for Clerical Medical in a Claim for Declarations in the Technology and Construction Court in respect of their new headquarter building in Bristol.
- Acting for a major UK supermarket chain in the Technology and Construction Court in relation to claims arising from the Construction of a multi deck car park.
- Appearing as counsel for the employer in an A$70m action against the design engineers of a propane gas storage cavern in Sydney.
- Representing an American Engineering Contractor who specialise in the Construction of gas processing plants in a claim relating to a plant in Nigeria.
- Acted for the Contractor in the Technology and Construction Court in relation to a claim of £17m relating to a fire at a supermarket.
- Defended a firm of architects over claims (£15m) of negligent design of fire safety equipment following a fire at cold storage plant.
- Acted for a consulting engineer defending claims of negligent design arising from the construction of large steel sculpture erected in the United Kingdom.
- Acted for the suppliers of a segmental precast arch system defending claims of negligence following a collapse during back filling operations on a £20m tunnelling project.
- Acting on behalf of a designer/manufacturer of marine electrical control systems in respect of a defects dispute which arose during the construction of a super yacht.
- Represented a ship builder in a High Court trial in respect of allegations of defects and delay in the construction of a number of war ships.
- Contributor, Keating on Construction Contracts - Ninth Edition (2012).
- Contributor, Keating on Construction Contracts - Eighth Edition (2006).
- Editorial team, Keating on Building Contracts, 7th Edition.
- Joint Author with Coulson J., Section on Architects, Engineers and Quantity Surveyors for Professional Negligence and Liability LLP, 2000.
Education and Professional Career
|BA in Human Sciences, Jesus College, Oxford
College of Law, London
Called to the Bar (Inner Temple)
Pupillage, Keating Chambers
TECBAR Accredited Adjudicator
Public Access Training
Technology and Construction Bar Association (TECBAR)
Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
The Society of Construction Law
Jane enjoys spending time with her family and is an accomplished skier.
If you would like to discuss ways in which Keating Chambers can assist you or your organisation, please contact Senior Clerk, Nick Child
, in the first instance, on +44(0)20 7544 2600. The teams of Clerks will be pleased to advise you on the member of Keating Chambers appropriate to your requirements.
Back to Barristers profiles