Gideon Scott Holland was called to the Bar in 1999 and has been a practising barrister in Keating Chambers since 2000. His practice covers a wide range of advisory, drafting and advocacy work relating to standard form and bespoke construction contracts and professional negligence claims (architects, engineers, surveyors and valuers). He has considerable expertise in public procurement, nuisance and disputes relating to energy and process engineering. Gideon undertakes environmental work in civil and criminal jurisdictions, including statutory nuisance under the Control of Pollution Act 1974 and similar legislation. He is currently editing the Energy and Climate Change title for the 5th edition of Halsbury’s Laws, which is due to be published in late 2011.
He has acted as counsel in high value arbitrations and litigation, and in smaller disputes for both residential and commercial clients in the county court, High Court and arbitration. He has also acted for clients at all stages of the adjudication process (advising, drafting, representation at hearings and enforcement proceedings).
"a fine practitioner"..."intelligent and thorough approach."
Chambers and Partners 2010
- Counsel in two ICC arbitration proceedings held in the UK relating to flue gas desulphurisation plants in UK power stations. Gideon was one of a team of two (junior) counsel who worked on these cases on a direct professional access basis instructed by a large Danish engineering firm. Over a period of two years, he saw the case through from the pleadings stage, through witness statements, expert reports, preliminary issues, submissions, the hearings and ultimately to the final award. The case involved detailed argument over process and structural engineering matters as well as programming and quantum evidence.
- Counsel for a contractor in relation to a forthcoming TCC action concerning the construction of a flue gas desulphurisation plant.
- Counsel for a UK water company in a TCC dispute relating to the performance of a new BAFF plant.
- Counsel in TCC litigation relating to the construction and valuation of a gas platform.
- Junior counsel for Multiplex Construction UK Ltd in a six-week TCC trial against the fabricator and erector of steel work at Wembley Stadium.
- Counsel in arbitration relating to the construction of trench runs beneath a highway.
- Junior counsel in TCC claim relating to a PFI contract for a regional police authority.
- Counsel for a UK charity in a two-week county court trial relating to the construction of a new therapy centre.
- Counsel in TCC trial of a domestic building defects claim.
- Advised on and drafted claims under NHBC and Zurich residential warranty schemes, both for contractors and householders.
Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996
- Counsel in Part 8 proceedings relating to whether contractual payment provisions complied with the 1996 Act.
- Counsel in enforcement proceedings in the TCC relating to an adjudicator’s awards, including successfully resisting enforcement in a case of breach of natural justice.
- Counsel in adjudication proceedings relating to the construction of a football stadium.
- Counsel in TCC litigation relating to the design, construction and process engineering of a waste water treatment plant.
- Advising a tenderer in relation to a dispute over the result of a local authority’s tender procedure for a highways maintenance contract.
- Junior counsel in TCC litigation relating to the meaning and effect of a PFI contract for the design, construction and provision of facilities services for a new police headquarters in Kent.
- Counsel for structural engineer in relation to claim for professional negligence in relation to the construction of a mosque.
- Advisory work for an engineering firm in relation to the collapse of a tower crane in Singapore.
- Counsel for residential householders in relation to a TCC claim for negligence against surveyors.
- Counsel for a local authority in an arbitration relating to the installation of a defective Audio Visual System
- Contributor, Keating on Construction Contract - Ninth Edition (2012)
- Consultant Editor of Energy and Climate Change title for Halsbury’s Laws of England, with Ian Pennicott QC, 5th Edition (due for publication in late 2011).
- Contributor, Keating on Construction Contracts, First Supplement to the 8th Edition (2008).
- Contract Administration - RICS Case in Point Series Gideon Scott Holland and Calum Lamont April 2007
- Researcher, Keating on Construction Contracts - Eighth Edition (2006).
- Editorial team Keating on Building Contracts, First Supplement to the 7th Edition (2003).
- Editorial team of Construction title for Halsbury’s Laws of England, 4th Edition (2002).
Gideon Scott Holland has led seminars for major solicitors firms in London, in particular delivering papers on the contractor’s duty to warn and adjudication and costs issues.
Education and Professional Career
|MA in Classics, Wadham College, Oxford
Diploma in Law, City University
Called to the Bar (Lincoln’s Inn)
Pupillage, Keating Chambers
Public Access Training
Technology and Construction Bar Association (TECBAR)
Society of Construction Law
Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
South Eastern Circuit
Procurement Lawyers Association
Amongst other interests, Gideon enjoys rock climbing, travel and the theatre.
If you would like to discuss ways in which Keating Chambers can assist you or your organisation, please contact Senior Clerk, Nick Child
, in the first instance, on +44(0)20 7544 2600. The teams of Clerks will be pleased to advise you on the member of Keating Chambers appropriate to your requirements.
Back to Barristers profiles