Finola O’Farrell QC specialises in construction, engineering, energy, ship building and information technology disputes, together with related professional negligence, insurance, bonds, guarantees, and health and safety matters.
Finola O’Farrell QC is not afraid of fighting difficult and challenging cases. Her work often includes cases that involve issues of legal, factual and technical complexity. Recent cases include international arbitration concerning an offshore wind farm project, international arbitration concerning an offshore gas pipeline in Russia, disputed calls and injunction applications in respect of letters of credit and performance bonds for infrastructure and technology projects in the Middle East, litigation concerning an advertising concession for the underground network, adjudication in respect of major rail infrastructure contracts and the Wembley Stadium litigation. She is an accredited mediator and adjudicator and sits as a Recorder.
Chambers and Partners recommended Silk in Construction and Energy Legal 500 recommended Silk in Construction and Energy
"A very good cross-examiner, because she has a friendly style which can be deadly if you're not on your guard"
"She can handle high-stakes matters in a calm manner"
"Has a way of getting around difficult clients"
"Always well prepared"
“Meticulous and detail-oriented approach is backed up by her incisive mind and tenacious attitude”
“She sticks to her guns on strategy, yet is very sensible commercially"
"Skill at cutting straight to the heart of a matter"
"Always provides a really authoritative view on difficult points"
"Very bright’..."gives clear, concise advice"
"A strategist who is excellent on her feet, she puts things to the court in a very attractive way, is very good with the clients and copes very well with the complexities of a case"
"Clarity of thought and detailed understanding of her cases"
“A robust advocate who gives clear advice and very quickly grasps the complex points”
"An extremely clear-thinking and effective advocate who really gets stuck in"
“A sharp focus on detail and an effective advocacy style”
“Bright and busy, with a tremendous eye for detail”…“phenomenally quick and robust...”
“Reputation continues to soar … fluent, both in terms of the law and her delivery of it, clients find Finola O'Farrell QC a reassuring presence in high pressure circumstances”
“Very good on the detail…knows energy inside out…a superb silk who is really good on technical disputes within contracts...excellent strategically and tactically"
Construction and Engineering
- Commercial litigation in respect of a dispute concerning an advertising concession on the underground network
- Litigation, adjudication and mediation concerning major rail infrastructure contracts
- Arbitration concerning dredging and land reclamation projects in the Middle East
- International arbitration under LCIA rules concerning an offshore wind farm project
- International arbitration concerning an offshore gas pipeline in Russia
- Dispute concerning coal fired power station in Eastern Europe
- Disputed calls and injunction applications in respect of letters of credit and performance bonds for infrastructure and technology projects in the Middle East
- Commercial property dispute in the Middle East
- Commercial court challenges to an international arbitration award
- Litigation and mediation against investment bank concerning the management and insurance of property
- Multi-party litigation concerning defects in a road infrastructure project
- Dispute concerning defects in a multi-storey car park
- Professional negligence litigation and mediation arising out of the design and construction of Wembley Stadium
- Litigation concerning the design supply and integration of a computer management system for a national mobile telecommunications network
- Litigation concerning incompatibility between computer software and hardware
- Bonds, Parent Company Guarantees and other Security - ICE Manual of Construction Law 2010.
- Professional Negligence in the Construction Field Finola O'Farrell QC 29th June 2009.
- Litigation - Engineer's Dispute Resolution Handbook (1st and 2nd Editions).
- Consulting Editor, Construction Law Reports
- Editorial team, Sweet & Maxwell electronic Construction Law Service.
- Editorial team, Keating on Building Contracts (5th, 6th and 7th editions).
Education and Professional Career
BA in Law, University of Durham
Called to the Bar, Inner Temple
TECBAR Accredited Adjudicator
ADR Accredited Mediator
Finola O’Farrell is a member of the Inner Temple panel for scholarships.
She enjoys theatre, music and horse riding in her spare time.
If you would like to discuss ways in which Keating Chambers can assist you or your organisation, please contact Senior Clerk, Nick Child
, in the first instance, on +44(0)20 7544 2600. The teams of Clerks will be pleased to advise you on the member of Keating Chambers appropriate to your requirements.
Back to Barristers profiles