Click here for Mediator Profile
Elizabeth joined Keating Chambers in October 2005 after completing a Masters in Corporate and Commercial Law at King’s College London. Elizabeth undertakes construction, infrastructure and general commercial work.
Elizabeth’s recent work as Counsel includes acting as a junior in a domestic arbitration concerning a multi-million pound dispute under the I.C.E Conditions. This involved a six week arbitration in Manchester.
For the majority of 2011, Elizabeth was instructed as a junior in a multi-million dollar ICC Arbitration in London about the construction of an office block abroad. Her role included cross examining both expert and factual witnesses.
Elizabeth’s previous experience includes successfully pursuing a claim for negligent misstatement against a local authority; acting for the NHBC in a variety of matters in Court and arbitration and being instructed by the Treasury Solicitor as a junior in a domestic arbitration about the interpretation of a PFI contract.
Elizabeth has also acted in a number of party wall matters, including appeals against party wall awards. She was an advocate in the November 2011 party wall moot before Mr Justice Akenhead.
Elizabeth is accredited as a mediator with the London School of Mediation and TECBAR. She is regularly appointed as a mediator and has achieved settlement on the day of mediation in the vast majority of cases. Elizabeth has acted as mediator in a broad range of disputes, including landlord and tenant disputes, neighbour disputes, commercial disputes and construction law disputes (about works in the UK and abroad). Her appointments include by the City Disputes Panel in a time-limited mediation. She has also acted in disputes before proceedings have been issued
“praised for her thoroughness”...“takes meticulous care over every single point”..."an eloquent drafting style."
Chambers and Partners 2010
- Junior Counsel in a six week arbitration concerning a construction project in the UK.
- Junior Counsel involved in the defects part of the claim in an ICC Arbitration concerning an office building abroad.
- Acting for the NHBC in disputes with registered builders and homeowners both in Court and arbitration.
- Advising on limitation defences in insurance cases.
- Successfully defending a claim made in arbitration that a local authority was obliged to adopt a highway under the Highways Act.
- Successfully resisting an application for a mandatory injunction under the Party Wall etc. Act 1996.
- Advice on a claim for interest.
- Acting for a local authority at a successful without prejudice meeting.
- CMCs, PTRs and applications in the TCC and County Court.
Recent Mediator Appointments
- Dispute about the lease of a domestic property.
- Neighbour dispute concerning the location of a boundary.
- Dispute involving an architect concerning a hotel design.
- Action by a builder for unpaid fees where there was a counterclaim for defective works.
- Action by consultant for unpaid design works where there was a claim for defective design.
- Action by a freeholder against leaseholder, which included claims about repairing obligations and service charge.
- Action by restaurant owner against a design and build contractor.
- Dispute between former business partners regarding a personal guarantee.
- Researcher, Keating on Construction Contracts - 9th Edition and 8th Edition
- Contributor to the Practical Law Company website. Elizabeth has most recently published articles on claiming interest and mediating relatively low value claims.
Education and Professional Career
Wisbech Grammar School, Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.
University of East Anglia, Norwich - LL.B Law (First).
Inns of Court School of Law, London Bar Vocational Course (Very Competent).
Paralegal, Construction and Engineering Department: Herbert Smith, London.
King’s College London, LL.M Corporate and Commercial Law specialising in
Insurance Law, International Arbitration and Construction Law (Distinction).
Pupillage, Keating Chambers
1991 - 1998
1998 - 2001
2001 - 2002
2002 - 2003
2003 - 2004
2004 - 2005
Inner Temple Paul Methven Benefactors' Award (2001)
Inner Temple Duke of Edinburgh Award (2001)
University of East Anglia Prize for Law (2001)
Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
Technology and Construction Bar Association (TECBAR)
Elizabeth has acted as a mediator on a pro bono basis.
Elizabeth is a mentor to a student at the University of East Anglia, Norwich.
If you would like to discuss ways in which Keating Chambers can assist you or your organisation, please contact Senior Clerk, Nick Child
, in the first instance, on +44(0)20 7544 2600. The teams of Clerks will be pleased to advise you on the member of Keating Chambers appropriate to your requirements.
Back to Barristers profiles