Appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel in 2014, David Gollancz specialises in all aspects of the law relating to public/private transactions. He is widely recognised as a leading public procurement lawyer, with expertise in state aid, employment, pensions and commercial law. Besides his wide-ranging experience in public contracts in general, David has a strong background in the law relating to nuclear installations and nuclear decommissioning. He also has a significant public law practice, particularly in the interface of commercial and public law and in connection with the status and powers of non-departmental public bodies, and an in-depth understanding of the working of public sector authorities.
David was admitted as a solicitor in 1990 and spent the early years of his career as a trade union and legal aid lawyer, joining the Treasury Solicitors Department in 1999. Starting there as an employment litigator, David moved in 2001 to establish the Public Procurement and Commercial Contracts team, and the TUPE Task Force, both of which he led until leaving in 2005 to join City firm Field Fisher Waterhouse in 2005.
In 2010 David transferred to the Bar, joining Keating Chambers as a tenant on 1 August 2011. During his time as a barrister, David has appeared on both sides in a number of procurement challenges and procurement-related judicial review, and has a substantial advisory practice. Notable cases include R (Nash)v Barnet London Borough Council  EWCA Civ 1004, Corelogic Ltd v Bristol City Council  EWHC 2088 (TCC), Pearson Driving Assessments Ltd v The Minister for the Cabinet Office  EWHC 2082 (TCC).
Has a wealth of experience in procurement regulations and competition law, much of it garnered from his previous career as a solicitor. He is popular with clients for his hands-on approach and the clarity of his opinions. "He gives clear, thorough opinions and goes the extra mile in terms of his availability."
"Very knowledgeable about the area, he really understands not only the letter of the law, but also the policy and reasoning behind it"..."He presents both his written advice and advocacy in a calm style, which is appreciated by clients"...“Years of experience in procurement and commercial contracts law”...“someone solicitors can count on”...“lofty reputation”...“sharp, reliable and pragmatic”.
Chambers & Partners
‘Excellent understanding of public sector issues’..."knows his law."
- Acted for Claimant in the Judicial Review of contract awards implementing Barnet Council's "One Barnet" programme on basis of breach of duty to consult and public sector equality, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of procurement law obligation to award to most economically advantageous tender.
- Acted for Defendant in judicial reviews of Legal Service Commission’s awards of contracts.
- Advised Law Society and others in negotiations with Lord Chancellor on legal aid reform.
- Acted for Defendant with Sarah Hannaford QC in the Judicial Review of transfer of community health care to "social enterprise".
- Challenge by incumbent contractor to award of £100m highways maintenance contract.
- Competitive procurement (advising bidder) of nuclear decommissioning contracts for Dounreay nuclear site.
- Competitive procurement (advising contracting authority) of nuclear decommissioning contracts for Sellafield nuclear site.
- Public procurement law issues in relation to Identity Cards framework agreements; National Police Database contract.
- Advising Equality and Human Rights Commission on transfer of powers and staff from former equality commissions.
- State aid issues in relation to Local Authority Mortgage Guarantee Scheme.
- Author of reference documents on public procurement and state aid for PLC Public Sector and of procurement blog, member of PLC PS Consultative Committee.
- Law Society's Gazette
- The Lawyer
- Public Private Finance
- Supply Management
Education and Professional Career
|Postgraduate diploma in EC Law
Head of Public Sector at Field Fisher Waterhouse LLP
|Postgraduate diploma (Merit) in EU Competition Law
|Commercial Team of the Year, British Legal Awards
Called to Bar
|Public Access Approved
|Appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel
Procurement Lawyers Association
Technology and Construction Bar Association
- Founder and former chair of Public/Private Procurement Forum.
- Widely in-demand lecturer.
- Active member of the Procurement Lawyers Association, currently member of working group on framework agreements.
For further information about David Gollancz practice please contact his clerks:
Back to Barristers profiles