Following a change of career, Ben Sareen was called to the bar in 2008. After successfully completing his pupillage he became a member of Keating Chambers in 2009.
Ben takes instructions on all aspects of construction and engineering disputes ranging from residential buildings to large commercial projects.
During pupillage Ben experienced a wide range of building and construction work typical of that undertaken at Keating Chambers. He has gained experience in litigation, arbitration, adjudication and mediation, particularly in relation to building and construction disputes and professional negligence claims against architects, designers and surveyors.
Ben has experience drafting pleadings in all forms of dispute resolution and has a good knowledge of the JCT and NEC standard form contracts and the RIBA standard forms of appointment.
Having previously worked for a leading London advertising agency, where he developed communications strategies for many successful companies including Unilever, InBev (Stella Artois, Heineken) and GE Money, Ben is adept at taking a commercial approach to legal issues and dispute resolution.
Ben has represented over 50 clients in court and tribunal hearings, including defending an action in the High Court with allegations of fraud, complex multi-party disputes, and numerous County Court hearings concerning a wide range of contractual disputes relating both to construction and other matters. He has also appeared in negligence, professional negligence and debt recovery claims for clients ranging from individual homeowners to multi-national companies. He has been instructed to make a variety of written and oral applications in the TCC and elsewhere including applications for strike out, summary judgment and specific disclosure, and has advised and drafted pleadings in claims valued in the millions of pounds including repeat instructions from a major UK telecommunications provider and a national home insurer.
Ben undertakes his own court work and has been instructed in multiple disputes by the Treasury Solicitor.
- A £80m construction arbitration concerning the redevelopment of sailors’ accommodation at a Scottish naval base.
- £40m TCC claim in respect of alleged defects in a 50-strong fleet of locomotives built by one of Europe’s largest train manufacturers, raising issues of the construction of a guarantee and jurisdiction of the English courts.
- £100m claim relating to the design and construction of the East London Line (Overground) extension.
- Advisory and drafting work for a German client in a multi-million pound international shipbuilding arbitration.
- Acting for a contractor in a High Court dispute concerning delay and disruption to a major construction project connected with the London Olympics 2012.
- Instructed by the Treasury Solicitor as part of the counsel team in a multi-million pound arbitration relating to marine and terrestrial construction disputes, culminating in a 6-week hearing to determine liability.
- Advisory work for a major contractor in relation to a delay and disruption claims relating to a major UK infrastructure project.
- Instructed by NHBC as sole counsel in multiple domestic arbitrations.
- Advisory and drafting work for a major UK clothing retailer in a final account claim.
- Instructed to advise Birmingham City Council regarding claims brought against it by a term contractor.
- Instructed in the Wembley Stadium litigation as part of the counsel team for Brookfield Construction (UK) Limited (formerly Multiplex) in a professional negligence claim against the consultant engineers.
- Instructed to advise and draft statements of case in surveyor’s negligence proceedings.
Seminars and Papers
- Contributor to Keating on NEC3, published in April 2011.
- Researcher for Keating on Construction Contracts, 9th Edn.
- Recent developments in CPR Part 36, Howes Percival (2011)
- Extensions of time and Balfour Beatty v Chestermount, Wragges (2010)
Education and Professional Career
MA (Oxon) - Philosophy and Modern Languages (First Class)
Manchester Metropolitan University - GDipL (Distinction)
Inns of Court School of Law - BVC (Outstanding)
Called to the Bar (Middle Temple)
Pupillage, Keating Chambers
Awards and Scholarships
British Television Advertising Awards: Grand Prix
Marketing Society Awards: Grand Prix
Manchester Metropolitan University Mooting Competition: winner
Diplock Scholar, Middle Temple
Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
Ben enjoys riding motorbikes, both on- and off-road. He has recently undertaken trips through the hinterland of Thailand, Vietnam and Laos.
If you would like to discuss ways in which Keating Chambers can assist you or your organisation, please contact Senior Clerk, Nick Child
, in the first instance, on +44(0)20 7544 2600. The teams of Clerks will be pleased to advise you on the member of Keating Chambers appropriate to your requirements.
Back to Barristers profiles