Alice specialises in construction and engineering disputes along with professional negligence, regulatory and insurance claims related to these sectors.
She has particular expertise in energy-related disputes (both onshore and offshore) and has acted for clients in a wide range of litigation concerning renewables, nuclear, oil and gas projects. She also regularly acts in cases relating to the sale and supply of chemicals and the construction of chemical processing plants.
She appears in domestic and international arbitrations, the High Court and Court of Appeal and also undertakes all aspects of alternative dispute resolution including representations to adjudicators and enforcement proceedings. Alice also accepts appointments as a mediator (she is TECBAR accredited).
Alice’s popularity with clients and solicitors, whether she is working as part of a team or as sole counsel, stems from her hard working and hands-on approach, which complements her all-round advocacy and paperwork skills.
Alice accepts instructions on a public access, licensed access and pro bono basis.
“A very switched-on barrister”...“valued by solicitors for her keenness to work with them as part of a team.”
Chambers and Partners 2013
"Bright and hard-working"..."a real can-do attitude."
Chambers and Partners 2012
"Proactive and a great team player."
Chambers and Partners 2011
“A good team player“...“identified by clients as a junior to watch, particularly on large complex disputes”...“able to muck in and get stuck into the detail.”
Chambers and Partners 2010
Construction and Engineering
- Counsel for the employer in a multi-million pound ICC international arbitration concerning a high-profile development in downtown Moscow.
- Acting for a contractor in a High Court dispute concerning delay and disruption to a major construction project connected with the London Olympics 2012.
- Junior counsel at first instance and in the Court of Appeal in a claim against the fabricator and erector of steel at Wembley Stadium.
- Junior counsel in a Part 8 dispute against the architect of Wembley Stadium in relation to access to the architect’s personnel.
- Counsel for the employer in a claim involving variations and a final account payment in connection with the construction of a residential housing estate governed by a JCT contract.
- Counsel for a property owner in a claim against a builder arising under the Defective Premises Act.
- Counsel for the main contractor in connection with TCC proceedings concerning the construction of a road.
- Represented a main contractor in adjudication proceedings concerning the construction of a hospital.
Energy and Utilities
- Junior counsel for a main contractor in a dispute about the construction of a soft yoke mooring platform.
- Acting for the main contractor in a multi-million pound ICC international arbitration concerning an offshore wind farm.
- Acting for a sub-contractor in an international arbitration concerning a commercial dispute about oil and gas separation plants in Libya.
- Junior counsel for Alstom Power in a multi-million pound dispute concerning a chemical processing plant.
- Junior counsel for a leading manufacturer of petro-chemicals in connection with a multi-million pound dispute against a specialist designer of chemical processing plants.
- Advisory work for a main contractor in relation to a dispute arising under an NEC contract and concerning the construction of treatment works within a nuclear power plant.
- Advising the main contractor of a hydropower project in Kenya in relation to a multi-million dollar arbitration against the employer involving the FIDIC form of contract.
- Advisory work for a main supplier in connection with the sale and supply of ethylene.
- Advisory work in connection with an alleged commercial fraud concerning the purchase of an oil platform in Brazil.
- Advisory work for a land owner in a dispute involving the Water Industry Act.
- Junior counsel in a dispute concerning the functioning of bespoke servers in a leading mobile network provider’s main UK call centre.
- Counsel for a leading telecommunications supplier in a claim relating to the installation of a telecoms system.
- Counsel for a leading telecommunications supplier in claims relating to the laying of telephone cables and the installation of telegraph poles.
- Counsel for the Law Commission in relation to the tender process for legal aid work.
- Acted for a tenderer in a dispute relating to failures to provide sufficient information and lack of transparency in a furniture supply contract.
- Instructed by AMEC in a multi-million pound professional negligence claim against the structural engineers responsible for the construction of one of the largest concrete car parks in the UK.
- Counsel for Brookfield Construction UK Ltd in a multi-million pound professional negligence and engineering dispute arising out of the Wembley Stadium project.
- Counsel for a surveyor in connection with the development of a farm.
- Acted for a firm of architects in proceedings undertaken by the ARB and RIBA in connection with an allegation of mis-conduct.
- Keating on Construction Contracts 9th Ed. (2012): Researcher
- Law Brief – Construction Update: Editor of the construction section for this monthly electronic legal subscription.
- LexisNexis Know How – Adjudication: Contributing Editor of this on-line publication.
Education and Professional Career
MA Social Anthropology (First Class – 5th in year), Cambridge University
Postgraduate Diploma in law (Very Competent), City University
Bar Vocation Course (Outstanding – 5th in year), ICSL
Pupillage, 4 Pump Court
Tenancy, 4 Pump Court
Tenancy, Keating Chambers
TECBAR Mediation Member
Public Access Trained
Awards and Scholarships
Cambridge Commonwealth Scholarship, Cambridge University
Dame Rosemary Murray Scholar, Cambridge University
Exhibition Award, Inner Temple
Princess Royal Scholarship, Inner Temple
Everard Ver Heyden Scholar, ICSL
Internship Award, Inner Temple
Scholarship from the South Eastern Circuit to attend an advocacy course run by the Florida Bar Association
Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
International Bar Association
Society of Construction Law
Technology and Construction Bar Association (TECBAR) (Committee Member)
Alice has a strong commitment to pro bono work. She is a member of the Bar Pro Bono Unit and in 2004 undertook an internship in India where she carried out fieldwork and research focusing on the land rights of tribal people who had been displaced by mining projects.
Alice enjoys independent travel and has travelled extensively in the Indian sub-continent, S.E Asia, Africa and South America.
She is a PADI qualified ‘Rescue Diver' and has logged over 50 scuba dives around the world. She is a keen skier and also enjoys yoga and horse riding.
If you would like to discuss ways in which Keating Chambers can assist you or your organisation, please contact Senior Clerk, Nick Child
, in the first instance, on +44(0)20 7544 2600. The teams of Clerks will be pleased to advise you on the member of Keating Chambers appropriate to your requirements.
Back to Barristers profiles
Acting for the main contractor in a multi-million pound ICC
international arbitration concerning an off-shore wind farm.
Junior counsel for a leading manufacturer of petro-chemicals in
connection with a multi-million pound dispute against a specialist designer of
chemical processing plants.
Counsel for the employer in a multi-million pound ICC international
arbitration concerning a high-profile development in downtown Moscow.
Acting for a contractor in a High Court dispute concerning delay and
disruption to a major construction project connected with the London Olympics
Acting for a sub-contractor in an international arbitration concerning a
commercial dispute about oil and gas separation plants in Libya.